Sometimes no matter how much things are seemingly going our way, there comes a time when like a lightning bolt it hits you that you feel unsettled, upset or down in some way. This realisation may be because of circumstances beyond our control that have happened to us directly but it can also be because of a reason that we just can’t seem put our finger on. At times it can seem that the weight of the world is on your shoulders and you just don’t care for anything or anyone in that moment, all you would like to do is curl up in a ball and let the world pass you by. There is a little light at the end of the tunnel that you feel you’re falling into, there is something that you can do, what? You may ask, well a little often forgotten ritual called self care or self love. Taking care of yourself is not selfish and is something that you can do not only to feel better about yourself but also to become better placed to interact with and even help your nearest and dearest.
Here is a list of things that you can do when things seem a little tough and you’re spiralling down to that dark place.
1. Allow yourself to feel and take on your feelings wholeheartedly without trying to dissect or analyse them.
2. Be kind to yourself and use self compassion by talking to yourself like you would a good friend.
3. Make yourself some tea honestly the power of a good cup of tea in this situation is underrated
4. Get comfortable by putting on some easy, relaxing clothes
5. Put on your headphones and listen to some of your favourite music to lift your mood
6. Get outside and go for a walk in nature without the distraction of technology
7. Don’t be afraid to ask for help, it may seem like the last thing you want to do but having a roommate, friend or partner do something as small as cooking dinner can make a world of difference.
8. Indulge in some healthy escapism like watching your favourite shows, movies or even planning a holiday somewhere by pining ideas on Pinterest.
9. If you read lose yourself in a good book or magazine or blog!
10. Spend the day in bed, not always ideal but if it helps you to recuperate then go for it.
11. Take a nice relaxing bath or hot shower to soothe you
12. If all else fails do feel free to grab a chunky blanket and curl up under it till you feel better.
what things do you do when you’re going through a tough time?