Yes I'd like to take a moment to talk about magnificent magnesium and why it is important that we get enough of this mineral that many of us are definitely deficient in. It is often hailed as a miracle mineral owing to its many benefits and how it's deficiency in our body can cause many ailments as it is involved in over 300 reactions that regulate health and wellness. Magnesium is also present in every organ of the human body. I personally prefer to use magnesium in its oil form and apply it directly to my skin as the Magnesium is easily absorbed with our skin being the largest organ of the human body. There are many benefits of Magnesium but I will list 6 benefits of magnesium oil below;
- Aids sleep and insomnia : Melatonin is needed to provide us with good quality sleep and magnesium regulates the production of of melatonin. Magnesium has a calming effect on the muscles and helps to induce a sleepy feeling. Increasing magnesium levels can provide a longer and better quality of sleep.
- Provides relief of muscle cramps, aches and spasms : Pretty self explanatory but magnesium oil can be sprayed pre or post workout to muscles to prevent cramp. Magnesium has a major role in the movement of calcium in the muscles and their contractions. Got achy muscles? spray on some magnesium and let it work its magic!
- Prevents migraine and headaches : Magnesium can help on those days when we have a bad headache as an alternative to taking a paracetamol. Simply massage the oil at the base of the skull and where the pain is and let the headache or migraine melt away.
- Helps to prevent Osteoporosis : In older people hip fractures and broken bones are all too common especially in women. For bones to remain healthy and develop, magnesium is crucial. Increasing the intake of magnesium strengthens and nurtures bone health, decreasing the risk of osteoporosis and broken bones.
- Improves mood : As magnesium is required for proper brain function, it stimulates and regulates biochemical reactions in the brain and hormone synthesis. This means that magnesium can have a positive effect on mood disorders like anxiety, depression and addictive behaviour.
- Keeps the heart healthy : Low magnesium can result in the relaxing and contracting of the heart to become impaired leading to heart disease and even cardiac arrest as our heart is after all a muscle. Magnesium helps to maintain a healthy heart rhythm, controls cholesterol production and helps to regulate blood pressure.
Magnesium oil is a very simple DIY to make and can be made quickly with a few ingredients;
- 1 cup of Magnesium flakes
- 1 cup of filtered boiling water
- dissolve the 1 cup of magnesium flakes in your container of freshly boiled water
- Allow the mixture to cool
- Once cooled transfer the mixture into a spray bottle and voila! you have your very own magnesium oil spray!