For a while despite all the signs around me showing me the benefits of taking Maca powder, I had somehow managed to avoid including it into my diet until recently. I decided to take a closer look at this wonderful adaptogen (see my post on Adaptogens here). What exactly is Maca? Well it is a cruciferous vegetable in the same family as cabbage and broccoli that grows in the Andes mountains at very high altitudes in Peru and has traditionally been used by Peruvians and their Incan ancestors for centuries. Some of the benefits of taking Maca root powder are:
Increases Energy: It boosts energy levels without causing stress on the adrenal glands like coffee can.
Boosts Fertility: Black maca variety has been shown to improve sperm count in men and the red maca variety balances female hormones and ovulation cycles.
Reduces depression and anxiety: It helps to boost the mood and relieve symptoms of anxiety.
Enhances mental clarity: Black maca has a positive effect on learning and memory.
Improves muscle gain: Athletes and body builders are using maca to increase their athletic performance.
Regulates hormone balance: Its vast amount of amino acids are the building blocks of hormones.
These are just some of the amazing benefits of taking maca including but not limited to ; Improving acne, skin tone, thyroid function, strong bones and teeth and hair growth. I intend to keep using maca and documenting my successes with it as I go along, although I am already seeing results in terms of balancing my hormones in that my girl time of the month is significantly lighter and shorter. This is a huge bonus for me as well as giving me the extra energy boost that I need to complete my workouts in the gym.
Have you used Maca powder?
A diffuser is usually a humidifier that expresses a fine mist of water and chosen essential oils into the air. It is a very useful device to have around the home, It can help humidify the air, which can in turn decrease the amount of dust particles in the air at home and make it easier to breathe especially for those of us that have breathing problems because we are sick or have asthma etc Depending on the essential oils used in these diffusers, it can have a positive effect on health and wellbeing in so many ways.
Although we are experiencing a little bit of an Indian summer at the moment, Fall / Autumn is well on the way. What a better way to mark the change in seasons than by getting a diffuser out and combining a couple of organic essential oils to provide that ambiance of autumn, boost our wellbeing and provide calm through the use of aroma. One of the simplest blends that I have been using lately is a sandalwood and orange essential oil blend. This blend is earthy yet zesty and is the perfect combination of aromas for the the daytime of this time of year. The combination I use is;
6 drops of Orange essential oil
3 drops of sandalwood essential oil
Place the drops into the water in the diffuser and switch the diffuser on, sit back and relax as you inhale the beautiful earthy aroma and the uplifting fragrance of sandalwood and orange.
Do you already use a diffuser in your home? If so what are your favourite autumn blends or fragrances?
Yes I'd like to take a moment to talk about magnificent magnesium and why it is important that we get enough of this mineral that many of us are definitely deficient in. It is often hailed as a miracle mineral owing to its many benefits and how it's deficiency in our body can cause many ailments as it is involved in over 300 reactions that regulate health and wellness. Magnesium is also present in every organ of the human body. I personally prefer to use magnesium in its oil form and apply it directly to my skin as the Magnesium is easily absorbed with our skin being the largest organ of the human body. There are many benefits of Magnesium but I will list 6 benefits of magnesium oil below;
- Aids sleep and insomnia : Melatonin is needed to provide us with good quality sleep and magnesium regulates the production of of melatonin. Magnesium has a calming effect on the muscles and helps to induce a sleepy feeling. Increasing magnesium levels can provide a longer and better quality of sleep.
- Provides relief of muscle cramps, aches and spasms : Pretty self explanatory but magnesium oil can be sprayed pre or post workout to muscles to prevent cramp. Magnesium has a major role in the movement of calcium in the muscles and their contractions. Got achy muscles? spray on some magnesium and let it work its magic!
- Prevents migraine and headaches : Magnesium can help on those days when we have a bad headache as an alternative to taking a paracetamol. Simply massage the oil at the base of the skull and where the pain is and let the headache or migraine melt away.
- Helps to prevent Osteoporosis : In older people hip fractures and broken bones are all too common especially in women. For bones to remain healthy and develop, magnesium is crucial. Increasing the intake of magnesium strengthens and nurtures bone health, decreasing the risk of osteoporosis and broken bones.
- Improves mood : As magnesium is required for proper brain function, it stimulates and regulates biochemical reactions in the brain and hormone synthesis. This means that magnesium can have a positive effect on mood disorders like anxiety, depression and addictive behaviour.
- Keeps the heart healthy : Low magnesium can result in the relaxing and contracting of the heart to become impaired leading to heart disease and even cardiac arrest as our heart is after all a muscle. Magnesium helps to maintain a healthy heart rhythm, controls cholesterol production and helps to regulate blood pressure.
Magnesium oil is a very simple DIY to make and can be made quickly with a few ingredients;
- 1 cup of Magnesium flakes
- 1 cup of filtered boiling water
- dissolve the 1 cup of magnesium flakes in your container of freshly boiled water
- Allow the mixture to cool
- Once cooled transfer the mixture into a spray bottle and voila! you have your very own magnesium oil spray!
This one is for us ladies out there mums, sisters, friends you get the idea! You know how it is when you want to de fuzz regularly and you are stuck using a blunt razor because you have forgotten to get yourself a new decent razor or replacement blade for that fancy razor you bought that you don’t often replace because the blades are so damned expensive?! or you end up sneakily using your husbands or boyfriends razor much to their annoyance. Well I might have just found the best solution for this very scenario.... enter Ffs or to give them their full name Friction Free Shaving. What is it? You may be thinking, well it is a subscription based service for us ladies that provides some of the best shavers and blades I have come across for women. How it works is you basically sign up and choose what type of shaver and blades you prefer there are two options, the Silvia which is silver and the Rose which is a lovely rose gold colour. I opted for the Rose as I’m a sucker for all things rose gold! The blades on each of the four replaceable razors are six in number and are diamond coated as well as having a vitamin E strip on the razor blade that helps give a smooth nourishing shaving experience. You then have the option to choose any additional products you may like with your subscription there are three to choose from; a pre shave scrub, a shaving cream and an after shave balm, these are completely optional though and additionally are made from natural ingredients and cruelty free.
The subscription box takes 3 to 5 working days to arrive and you get four new replacement blades in the post every month but you do have the option to space out your delivery to once every two months and to also pause the subscription at any time if you so wish. Having used the Ffs shaving system I can honestly say that I am impressed with the results and have had the smoothest shave with a razor to date. You can find all the products here and if you input my name Eme Ross as a referral in the box at checkout you can get free engraving worth six pounds of your brand new shaver too! Happy shaving ladies.
Lately I have been experimenting with facial oils and have recently added a new one to my skincare routine with very good results. I wanted to use this oil for a good few weeks to allow time for it to work it's magic on my skin and I have to say that I am pleasantly surprised by the results that I have with it so far. I bet you're wondering which oil this is that has me singing its praises and it is non other than Rosehip seed oil. I have been using this oil for the past 5 weeks at night after I cleanse and tone my face, I apply two to three drops to my skin and gently massage it into my face. As Rosehip seed oil is a "dry" oil it means that it sinks into the skin quite easily and does not leave an oily residue.
During the past 5 weeks my skin has transformed from dry, flaky and blotchy to nourished, supple and almost completely acne scar free. I have also noticed that any fine lines that I may have had have appeared to have diminished. Having done a little research into the benefits of this wonderful oil used by ancient Mayans and Egyptians it is easy to see why at last I have found some good and lasting results from using it. I'll share some of these benefits below, the benefits of Rosehip seed oil include;
- Anti-aging properties : The oil contains vitamins A and C and antioxidants and is able to penetrate the deeper layers of the skin to promote collagen production.
- Age spot protection : the antioxidants, beta-carotene, tocopherols, and lycopene in the oil fight the free radicals that can cause sun damage and the vitamin A as well as the oils essential fatty acids help to improve texture, skin tone and pigmentation.
- Acne Scars and eczema : The effects of eczema, rosacea and acne scarring are significantly reduced due to the presence of the essential fatty acids which help to promote skin regeneration.
- Boosts the immune system : Rosehip oil is a top source of vitamin C and therefore helps to fight infection.
I think that this oil will be a staple of my skincare routine for some time to come and I would recommend it to anyone wanting to try out facial oils but are worried that they might break out in spots as this isn't the case with Rosehip seed oil. The brand of oil that I use is from The Ordinary a beauty brand from the Deciem company but you can get the oil from other reputable brands like Trilogy. It is probably best to get the oil from a certified organic, fairtrade and cruelty free source as you can be sure of the purity of the ingredients and how efficient it will be in delivering great results.
Have you used Rosehip seed oil?
~ E xx